Tuesday, March 23, 2010

History Lessons II: the Reckoning



Before I begin...
I guess it's sort of ironic that my blog is named after 
the most famous presidential assassin in our nations history
& the top photo of this post is just "Giant Lincoln Head".
(it was between that title & "target practice"... HI-YO!)


Following my last post, i decided it was time to kick-start
my love of History again by putting down my textbooks & embarking 
on a NYC History Adventure which I came to refer to as...


Sam's "Historically-based" NYC Museum Adventure Day-Fest


...I figured i'd come up with a better name later on, 
but I never did.
(not surprisingly, I said the same thing about "JohnWilkesBlog") 


So, after my last class on friday
I took a lovely stroll across Central Park on
the way to the NY Historical Society.
It was absolutlely gorgeous out & the fresh air did wonders.
I've been very cooped up in the last 2 months.
Plus, not having any of my good bros around has left me
slightly depressed...


Depressed is the wrong word, 
but it's the first one that comes to mind.


To tell the truth, I was required to go the NYHS to see a 
John Brown/Harper's Ferry exhibition for my History 151 class.
But i had a very good time there, 
so much of a good time that i decided to continue my
day of historical entertainment by taking the short
walk down the street to my favorite museum of all-time,
the American Museum of Natural History.


this 6-hour learning extravaganza was vital to 
getting myself excited about history again 
& was honestly the most fun i've had so far, 
since I moved to Brooklyn.


So, let's take a look at the sights & sounds
(mostly sights, not so many sounds) 
of my day on 'Museum Mile'...




This male Iroquois indian is no joke...
of course, spending a few Upstate, NY winters 
in a longhouse was probably no laughing matter,
but i think that makes them even more badass.
... i think the next band i start is gonna be called 
Iroquois
it's just a 'kewl' word.




this is the fossil remains of a 
Mammut Americanum (American Mastodon).
I'm a sucker for fossils, so you should know
that the remainder of my photos are from the fossil halls. 
Anyhow, this mastodon was scary big & cool as hell.



"Well, that's just great... You hear that, Ed? 
Bears...
Now you're putting the whole station in jeopardy..."


I believe Cave Bears (Ursus Spelaeus) would rule the world. 
Seriously, thank god all the Cave Bears are extinct 
because that thing is terrifying.



MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!!!!
technically, it's a Prehistoric Elk (Megaloceros Giganteus
...I think.
either way, that's all i got for this one. 

next!


Don't be fooled, this is not prehistoric.
Shredder killed Leonardo & sent his remains to the museum.

R.I.P Leonardo (1984 - 2010)
Cowabunga,Dude. You will be missed.



This handsome fellow here is an Allosaurus (Allosaurus Fragilis).
I think about people in the times before paleontology was a real science
who must have found bones like this 
& been absolutely dumbstruck/terrified.

That's also my theory for why everyone 
believed in Dragons & Monsters in Medieval Europe. 
They would just find something like this in the ground
& it would get their imaginations stirring with thoughts of 
giant monsters out in the wilderness, 
guarding mountains of gold with their fiery breath & killing
any knights who would dare hunt them down.


Speaking of famous Knights,
one of the coolest things about the Allosaur fossil on display at AMNH
is that the pose is based directly on a painted by Charles R. Knight.
Knight was a Brooklyn-born artist whose paintings of dinosaurs
& various other prehistoric beasts were some of the earliest visuals 
the public would ever know of these strange & mysterious creatures.

here are a few more Knight images that i enjoy...

(note: this Tyrannosaurus is now considered anatomically incorrect)


So, let's recap what we learned here today:
- Sometimes, history needs to be experienced outside of textbooks
- Dinosaurs/Indians/Cavebears/Lincoln's Giant Head = Pretty Badass
- Leonardo is dead, Shredder killed him.
- MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!!!!
- Life is better when it's spring in Central Park.

In Closing, everyone really should go visit 
the American Museum of Natural History, 
It truly is far too big to see in one day. 
I personally missed out on the "Hall of North American Mammals" 
as well as "the Hall of Oceanic Life"... 

But i guarantee i'll be back.
sooner than later.
...come on, it's full of dinosaurs!




...beets.

No comments:

Post a Comment